"South African war memorial in Memorial Park. View from north-east."
The South African War Memorial called "the Horseman of the Plains" located at the park's centre. Designed by Louis Phillippe Hebert. Unveiled at the park's centre on June 24, 1914. 1928, Central Park was renamed Memorial Park after the dedication of the WWI war memorial (cenotaph) at the park's west end.