An artists rendition of the Bow River weir. Water is pictured flowing over the weir and houses, probably in the Riverside area, are visible in the distance.
From the website: www.wid.net
"The Western Irrigation District's roots are firmly planted in the history of Alberta. The federal government agreed to grant arable land to the Canadian Pacific Railway in payment for the construction of a railroad joining Canada from coast to coast. Included in this grant was land previously described as fit for homestead only if an irrigation system could be supplied. With the mountains in the background and the vast prairies to the east, the slope of the ground was ideal to construct a gravity irrigation system.
In order to attract settlers to the area, the CPR began construction of a network of irrigation canals and reservoirs starting with a diversion weir across the Bow River in Calgary in 1904. With the construction of Main Canal, water was carried from the Bow River into Reservoir #1 (Chestermere Lake) and in 1905 it was filled for the first time. By 1910 secondary canal systems were constructed and settlers had already received delivery of irrigation waters."
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.