Sepia photograph taken from the Normal School looking northward across the city. Residential homes can be seen in the foreground.
Then and Now column - June 10th 2003
Calgary Normal School
455 6th St. S.W.
Then: Calgary Normal School.
One year after construction of Alberta's first Normal School (for teacher training) began in September 1906, Premier Alexander Cameron Rutherford laid the cornerstone for the $150,000 Renaissance Revival style building. The three-storey plus attic building was designed by Public Works architect Allan Merrick Jeffers (who also designed the provincial legislature) and built by day labour. When it opened in September 1908, with two instructors and 26 student teachers, training consisted of a four-month course. In 1922, the Normal School moved to the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art (now called SAIT). The Calgary Public School Board subsequently converted the building for use as an elementary school and renamed it McDougall School in honour of the Reverend John McDougall,
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.