“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared November 30, 2004.
Parkhill School, 3650 2nd St. S.W.
• The Parkhill community, one of Calgary's oldest, was annexed by the city in 1910 due to rapid development at that time. The school board built many two-room cottage schools for temporary school space in new neighbourhoods as the school population increased five times between 1905 and 1914. Students in the Parkhill area initially attended Erlton cottage school. Parkhill School, completed in 1912, was the second of the four-room bungalow schools built after the school board adopted the policy of constructing these more permanent facilities. The first principal was Miss Edith Stanley. In 1956, a portable classroom was added to accommodate the growing population.
• The beautiful, two-storey, brick, four-square style building with sandstone quoins served the community for 65 years until closing its doors June 30, 1977. Gregarian Developments purchased it in 1989. It fulfilled the school board's original intention, which was to convert the bungalow schools to apartments when a larger school was built for the community. Extensive renovations resulted in four, two- storey condominiums with 13-foot ceilings, as well as restoration of the exterior. Nearby, new homes were built to complement the school and the neighbourhood. The school remains as private residences.