“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared April 13, 2004.
Then: Colonel Walker School
• This sandstone school was built in 1912 on 5.98 acres (2.4 hectares) purchased from Col. James Walker (1846-1936), one of Calgary's leading pioneer businessmen. Additions to the structure, including a gymnasium, were made in 1952, 1965 and 1982. Over the years, Colonel Walker School has served the community in a number of roles. From 1916 to 1922, it provided a home to the technical institute, and during the flu epidemic of 1918-1919, the school was pressed into service as an emergency hospital. Between 1922 and 1936, the building housed elementary grades and the East Calgary High School (originally Grades 9 and 10 but adding Grades 11 and 12 in 1925). When the high school closed in 1936, Colonel Walker was reorganized as a junior high. In recent years, declining enrolment has led to concerns about closure.
Now: Colonel Walker Community School
• As of September 2003, the school's enrolment sat at 116. The motion to consider the school for closure was defeated by a 4-2 vote at the Jan. 20 Calgary Board of Education trustees meeting. Currently, the school offers kindergarten to Grade 6, special education classes and three William Roper satellite classes. Colonel Walker also houses the Inglewood Wildlands Society, the Inglewood Child Development Centre and an after school care program operated by the Parent Advisory Council.