"McGill's Drug Store (Mount Royal Block), 7th Street and 17th Avenue S.W."
“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared November 16, 2004.
• Built in 1911, Mount Royal Block was typical of many buildings of that boom era, with its brick veneer over a wood frame. It was originally home to one of Calgary's first drugstore chains. McCutcheon and McGill was started by David McCutcheon with college chum William McGill in 1906, with Mount Royal Block being the second branch opened.
McCutcheon went on to found one of the country's largest real estate agencies, McCutcheon Brothers Ltd. McGill Drugs remained on site from 1915 until 1963. In 1920, it was recognized for innovative advertising in creating strong community spirit. Among the other stores that operated there over the years were College Meat Market and Royal Grocery.
• Changes occurred to 17th Avenue during the 1970s and McGill Drugs moved to 725 17th Ave. S.W. Mount Royal Block became home to boutiques, clothing and furniture stores and a delicatessen. Hip clothing store Sagesse occupied the corner site from the early 1990s until moving to 12th Avenue in 2002. Now owned by Tonko Developments, tenants include the trendy martini bar The Mercury.
The Mount Royal Block is slated to be demolished in February, along with its neighbouring buildings on the same block. A new building, unofficially reported to be a large drugstore chain, will be built on the site of the original drugstore.