1934 12 St SW
136 years ago…
Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) received the patent to develop the land in which Mount Royal is situated. 20 years later CPR registered development plans and the city’s boundary was extended to incorporate the area. The initial plan would have seen 12 Street end at Colborne. Lots were ‘through lots” to allow formal entrances at the front and service access from the rear (hence our back lane access). Lot prices ranged from $500 to $6000 with average price being $1500 to $3000. Some of the caveats on house lots included only one building, to be used only as a single dwelling, minimum cost to be between $2000 to $5000 and must be a minimum of 25 feet from the street. The community was officially named Mount Royal in 1910. While the city had decided that all streets would be numbered, names were insisted on for Mount Royal. Unlike 13th Street which was Metcalfe originally or 11th Street was Provost, 12th Street was always 12th Street West. There was no need to indicate “South West” as the north side of the river was not yet developed.
100 years ago…
1934 12 Street West first started appearing in the fireplans in 1911 as a 2 story wood house. It’s style is arts and crafts. The first owners arrived two years later in 1913. Perhaps the lower brick story was completed in 1912? Other homes on the street were already inhabited as it looked like they built the west side of the street first.
Four families have called 1934 12 Street home. The first family was the McTeers from 1913 to 1946. The father, Archibald, worked in management at Sunlife Assurance Co. until his retirement. He and his wife Ida had 6 children with the hour boys being noted for their sports aptitude, particularly Archie jr.
The house was owned for a short time in 1947 by William Clark, GM of continental Auto Supply before being sold to Arthur e. Fry, also continental Auto Supply in 1948 and then Fred Nelson fry, VP of continental Auto Supply, in 1950. Fry families lived in the home until 1963.
The third family were the Lagasses. Clement was a lawyer who lived in the house until his death in 2000 (his wife, Christine, predeceased him). Their son sold us the house in 2001.
The house in inhabited by a long term CPR employee, a former CPR employee and their two cats. The wiring, plumbing, insulation and heating have been updated and three exterior leaded windows were opened up that had been hidden under lathe and plaster. Otherwise the house is much asit was when it was built over 100 years ago.