915 18 Ave SW
John Snow House: 1912 to 2012
This is a house with a history! It was built in 1912 for Charles P. McMcallum of Armstrong and McCallum, a real estate and investment firm. It had various owners until 1951, when it was purchased by Calgary-based artist and banker John snow (1911- 2004). With the help of his friend, artist and architect Maxwell Bates, Snow added a studio to the back of the house in the 1960s.
Snow was married to Kathleen (Kay) Allen (1918-1995), and together John and Kay made a big impact on the Calgary art community. In addition to making his own paintings and prints, John snow helped other artists to make prints using a press in his basement. The couple also hosted artists at their house, creating a sense of community.
Today, John Snow House is on loan to The New Gallery, an artist-run centre. We use the space as our Resource Centre (a library and archive), as an artist’s residence, and occasionally hold artistic events here.
The house is designated as a Municipal and Provincial Historic Resource. It’s called John Snow House because he was its most famous resident.
To learn more, please visit
John Snow on the cover of the Royal Bank’s Teller newsletter. As reproduced in The Art of John Snow, by Elizabeth Herbert (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2011), p.10.
John Snow in his basement studio, pulling a print from his lithographic press. As reproduced in the Art of John Snow, by Elizabeth Herbert (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2011), p.21.