1317 - 8 AV SE
House of George
The Brick & Mortar
This was built as a modest home at the time and the family did without plumbing until many years later.
The house is not a unique style for the time, but interestingly did not follow the Victorian, "gable front" architecture of the other homes at the time. Instead, it was poised sideways to the street in a Colonial/Gothic Revival style. The original chimney still exists in a grey brick and is in excellent condition. Original Victorian fixtures and grills for heat and cold air return exist .
All parts of the house are mainly original including the (recently) refinished Douglas fir flooring and the original window pane in the front donner (just look up!). This glass was cooled in running river and gives a diffuse image when peering through it .
The original drop siding has been covered with metal siding, but likely they remain intact beneath. The walls are an incredible 8 inches thick. Originally the house did not have spruce trees in front .
The Gerlitz Family
George, age 54 in 1910, wife, Mary, 53, and their daughter Elizabeth, age 16, at the time. They were German Russians who arrived off the SS Lake Simcoe ship in Quebec April 24, 1902 with Calgary as their final destination. It is likely George's brothers Phillip and Peter came to Calgary with them on the same boat. All the Gerlitz's worked on car repairs and in labour jobs. Many of the women worked too, with Mary employed by the Ontario Laundry Company as a laundress .
George worked mainly as a labourer for CP Rail and lived in the house until 1916 .
Following the Gerlitz Family
George Patterson - 1917-1919
George (Punshon) - 1927-1928
Mrs. L. Torry - 1929-1939
Mrs. Mary Fayeski - 1943 - 1948
Bachelors followed: James Martin, Steve Fayeski, Henry Aigner
Michi Husvar bought the house in 1951 and lived here for a few years .
John Marin lived here from the 60s until the late 90s .
Different renters continued to rent this house until now. The current family hopes to restore some of the house's modest charms.