The lots were purchased by Mary V. Spence in 1911. The house, a craftsman-style bungalow with stucco exterior and gable type roof, was built in 1920, one of the latecomers to the neighbourhood. It has 6 large
rooms – the kitchen, two bedrooms, a living room with a fireplace and open-beam ceiling, a formal dining room, and a charming bathroom with the original fixtures. There is a finished 'rumpus room', and a second bathroom in the basement.
An unusual feature (for the neighbourhood) is the driveway, which leads from the street to a garage at the rear of the property. At one time, as you can see from the accompanying photograph (1952), a two-door gate was in position across the driveway, matching a gate
across the front sidewalk. From this photograph, it is also clear that the boulevard was wider, when there was less need for on-street parking. In 1997 the kitchen was renovated and extended, and a deck and porch
were added to the rear of the house, in the style of the front, with railings and brick pillars topped by sandstone. The renovation was designed by architect Suzanne Devonshire-Baker, and built by Len Sandrin Construction, both Elbow Park residents.
The address was 7th Street until around 1936, when former 6th Street was renamed Elbow Drive.
THE FLOOD OF 2013
As the Elbow River overflowed its banks in June 2013 and ran into the neighbourhood, water somehow avoided the house and lot, although some 25 cm. of water found its way into the basement, and drained out after 3 days. There was no damage to the house, only to the rumpus
room (repaired) and contents - one of the happier endings to the many stories of the big event.
WHO LIVED HERE?
• Optometrist William H. Hattel and his wife Tracie Hattel owned the house, and lived in it from 1920 - 1922, and 1925 - 1928, renting to Arthur H. McGuire, Manager of Canada Cement, for the intervening 1923 – 1924
• 1928 - 1947 the house was owned by Pauline Gillies, and occupied by her widowed daughter-in-law Margaret Gillies and grandson Don Gillies. Don, at age 88 and living in North Vancouver, paid a nostalgic visit in 2012 to the house he lived in from age 4 to 18.
• 1946 - 1947 the house was occupied by Pauline's grand-daughter Dorothy Kendall and her husband Robert E. Kendall, a salesman with Nesbitt Thomson & Co.
• 1947 - 1960 'The Bank House'. In 1947 the house was purchased by The Canadian Bank of Commerce as a residence for the managers of its main branch, serving as an upscale venue for entertaining customers. The bank families were:
• 1947 - 1952 C. Harvey Baker and May Baker
• 1952 - 1955 Arthur S. Heffer, Trudy Heffer and children John (present owner) and Kathryn, with Butch, the Wonder Dog.
• 1955 - 1958 Bruce Blandford, Vickie Blandford, and children David and Barbara
• 1958 - 1960 Roy Cunliffe and Martha Cunliffe
• In 1960, the bank sold the house to John and Mary Hutton
• 1960 - 1970 John Hutton, retired owner/manager of Inglewood Golf Club, and Mary Hutton. In 1970, the Huttons sold the house to John and Linda Heffer.
• 1970 - 1972 John Heffer, (see 1952 - 1955) employed by and retired from Husky Oil, and his wife Linda Heffer, software developer
• 1972 - 1974 the house was rented to Jack Leary and Barbara Leary, who lived here with their sons Scott and Paul
• 1974 - 2012 John Heffer and Linda Heffer
• 2012 - ?? John Heffer
This information was submitted to the collection May 30, 2015.