1524 33 Ave SW
• First appearance in the Henderson directories
• Home owned by Robt. B. White, machinist, City Auto garage
• Home occupied by Claude Bissell, salesman, Simmington Company
• Home occupied by William Donaldson, credit manager Herald (assume Calgary Herald)
• Home now occupied by John Smith, City clerk
• Home owned + occupied by Mrs. Margaret Thornton (widow)
• Also occupied by Mrs. Ethelwyn White (widow)
• Home occupied by Capt. Ralph Richmond, Adjutant, Lord Strathcona’s Horses
• Home occupied by Struthers Cunningham, salesman Sykes Imperial Furnace
• Owned/occupied by Mrs. Margaret Thornton-White and Mr. Donald Thornton-White
• (last year of Henderson Directories) – still occupied by Mrs. Thornton-White
We purchased the house in 1985 and have slowly renovated over time to try and reflect the house’s heritage and character without turning it into a museum.
The house has 2 fireplaces, built in bookshelves, some of the original light fixtures, beamed ceilings and oak floors on the main floor and fir floors on the second floor.
Considered to be a “storey and a half”, the half storey on the second floor has curved ceiling that run to the floor.
Renovations done over the last 27 years include: the addition of a bathroom and bedroom on the second floor, a kitchen renovation (1996), a main floor renovation that included the creation of a half-bath and moving of closets to create more storage (2000). Most recently, finishing the basement was created extra space for our family