George Alexander McCaig
Provincial District of Alberta in the North-West Territories
1 May 1905
Duplicate Certificate of Title:
William Leslie Haines
Province of Alberta
18 May 1906
Certificate of Title:
6 August 1907
Q & A Village life soon feel prey to swelling city
Q: Was Crescent Heights once a townsite similar to Montgomery, Forest Lawn and Bowness?
A: Indeed it was. When Calgary was officially incorporated in 1884, the limits of the town ran from the banks of the Bow River in the north to 17th Avenue in the south, and 14th Street on the west to 15th Street east of the Elbow River. The area of Crescent Heights, north of the Bow River between Edmonton Trail and 4th Street NW sat on federal lands excluded from the incorporation. According to historian Max Foran in his book Calgary, An Illustrated History, Crescent Heights was incorporated separately as a village in 1908.
It didn’t remain independent for long. By 1910, the population had exceeded 40,000. A critical shortage of housing galvanized civic authorities into expanding the city limits to eight times its original size to facilitate power, sewer and transportation services, and the village of Crescent Heights was absorbed by Calgary only two years after it was created.
Crescent Heights incorporated as a village in 1908.
Calgary absorbed Crescent Heights in 1910. Crescent Heights shown here in ’79, was absorbed by Calgary in 1910.
Herald Sunday Magazine June 16, 1991