2611 14A Street SW
Built in 1911
This foursquare house with cedar shingles on the roof and sides was built in 1911. The front porch was enclosed at a later date. It was built by Murdock McGregor and his brother William, who were professional carpenters. The house was later suite to accommodate relatives during the depression. It was eventually rented out in this condition. When we bought the house in 1995, we removed the upper floor kitchen and back staircase, as well as the separate front door.
The lot was originally 75’x112’. We sold the south section, which we used as a vegetable garden to our daughter and son-in-law who built the house next door. It was finished in 2007, just 3 day before the birth of our first grandson.
The photographs were given to us by Murdena Catherine McGregor (known as “Mack”), who was born in the master bedroom on Dec 24, 1918. We had the good fortune to meet her a few years ago. She told us many stories of what it was like living here when the house and the area were new. She created a living link to the history of this great house, which has been part of this community for so long.