2202 14A Street SW
The Early History of This House
Despite the close proximity of Mount Royal, Bankview was constructed to satisfy the housing needs of the blue-collar, working-class people of quickly growing Calgary. The early occupancy of this house demonstrates that well.
1905-1912: The land for this house was subdivided and sold in 1905 for $628 to Emmanuel Bochon but construction of this residence didn’t happen until 1912. An interesting note on the title to the land from 1911 states that no brothel or “house of prostitution” could be run out of the dwelling on the land. This certainly gives a colourful impression of what kind of city Calgary must have been in the early 1900’s. The house was built, along with the house immediately to the south by H.M. Splane. The houses were mirror image of each others, with only minor finishing differences.
1913-1914: Interestingly no residency is on record for the house until 1914, leading to the conclusion that the house may have sat empty during 1913. In 1914 Peter Reno, an optician, moved in, but only for a short period of time.
1916-1919: During this period a machinist named Geo Corse lived here with his family after relocating from Edmonton. Geo worked for the Alberta Publishing company. During a recent renovation an overdue library book notice postmarked 1919 was found addressed to Mrs. Corse. The fine was 2 cents/day and the librarian was alexander Calhoun – the first Calgary librarian and the namesake of the library up the hill on 14th Street.
1920-1937: John K Craig and his family occupied the house during this period. John was a travelling salesman for Beatty Brothers, a manufacturer of pumps and washers.
1938: After the Craigs, Chas B. Matheson lived here for a short period. No detailed information about Chas is known.
1939: the house was purchased by John Holmes, a salesman with Goblin Electric. Given the state of the wiring when the current owners bought the house –it’s hard to believe an electrician ever lived here.
Current: the current owners have lived here since 1999 and have owned the house since 2002. Since performing the first extensive renovation the house had ever had in 2004 the house much more livable (read: fewer drafts, more closets) and the house continues to be a labour of love, as all old houses are.