2109 14A Street SW
This house was built in 1912 and owned by Charles E. Lasher. He also owned the house next door (to the left), Charles had a real estate business and bought the homes to resell as he was never a resident.
It was rented by Herbert L. Niles in 1913 who worked in the same office in the Lougheed Building as Charles lasher and was also in real estate.
The first owner/resident was Arthur Lewis Tregillus from 1914-1920.
Arthur was born in 1888 in India as his father was a missionary but he was raised in England and immigrated to Calgary in 1913. He was 26 years old when he bought his house.
He married his second cousin : Adah may Tregillus, and raised two children here, Dick and Marion.
Adah May’s father was William J. Tregillus who owned Tregillus Clay Company of which Arthur was the manager/secretary treasurer.
In 1920 Arthur moved his family to a farm in Rowley, Alberta and the house was bought by an Imperial Tobacco salesman named John M. O’Brien.
The picture below was taken in 1959. Notice the ourside porch which is now closed in.
Interesting note: originally, the five streets to the west of 14th Street were named 1 to 5 but renamed to 14A through to 17 th Street. The current 14th Street was never previously named.