239 20 Ave NW
This lot was originally owned (1909-1912) by O. Petty before it was sold to speculators P. & Y. Yoeman. The land value was $100
239 was built in 1912 as a speculative house during a boom time. At the time the lot was valued at $500, as was the house
The Yoemans sold the home to Calver Glover an American accountant who live 1915-1916 with his wife Kay and their two sons. This was also when the sidewalk was put in on the 20th. The next few years (with WWI and the aftermath) were bust times and the house was bought, sold, rented and changed hands.
Fire Insurance map of this block 1911-1914. Most of the lots were vacant (and the majority of the houses here still stand)
In 1922 Henry Ashcroft, his wife Ethel bought this house where they lived until 1959. Their daughter Eileen was born in 1924 and attended Crescent Heights HS. Henry was born in Lancashire, England in 1885 and Ethel in Murray Hill, East India but grew up in Manchester. Henry fought in WWI and was a fireman who served Calgary for many years. Eventually becoming captain at Fire Hall #2. He retired in 1951. Their daughter married Alfred Cole in 1943 and they all lived together until 1947 when Eileen and Alfred opened up a Mechanic Shop (Cole Motors Ltd. Located at 352 8 Ave. NE). After Henry’s death in 1956, Ethel remained in the home for another year before moving a few blocks away. When the Ashcrofts first moved in there were many vacant lots, but by the time they left, most had been filled. At one point while they lived here, there was even a tram that ran down 20th Ave.
The Fireman’s soccer team (late 20s) Henry Ashcroft is 3rd from left top row (goalie)
Fire Hall #2 (1851 MacLeod Trail SE – it’s now an emergency response centre)
In 1961 the house was bought by Walter and Janet Bycio who lived here throughout the 60s, after which they rented it out. Walter Bycio sold the house to Dennis Smith in 1999 and we bought it in 2008.
A number of upgrades have been done over the years. Interestingly, when we renovated the kitchen in 2010 and took out a wall and put another in, we discovered that had been the original layout and someone had put up the wall in the intervening years! Without knowing it, we were restoring the house to its original state.