When we bought this house in 2001, we were told it was built in 1910, but the first owner we can identify is Elmyra Ficht, who was here from 1915-1924.
The house is a foursquare design; it originally had four small rooms (and the home’s only bathroom) upstairs, and four on the main floor. The kitchen had a wood-burning stove in the back corner (we found its chimney when renovating). The house originally had a verandah – it would have looked like the house directly across the street. The verandah was closed in during a major renovation in the early 1980s. The exterior finishing is the classic style of the period: cedar shakes on the top half and wood siding below (now all replaced with vinyl to avoid the tough paint jobs on such a tall houe).
Of all the previous owners, the ones we most admire are the Fultons, who apparently raised eight children in this house, when the basement was still unfinished and there was only one bathroom. They lived here in the 1970s. We believe Mr Fulton was a welder; there was a welding business registered here as well.
A passer-by once told us that this home was a boarding house in the 1940s, but we have found no concrete evidence for that statement. The owner of the house before us, Royanne St Hilaire, also told us the house is haunted by a single female ghost. Happily, we have not found any evidence that that claim is true either!
We recently completed another major renovation on the house expanding the kitchen and adding a main floor bathroom because our family of four needs more space than the Fultons’ family of ten!