The land that this house sits on was purchased in 1888 by Joseph Carson, a saddler by trade.
The house was built in 1911 and was owned by a realtor, Arthur Bennett. (At that time the street was named Sunnyside Boulevard NW.) The house is of wood-frame and wood shingles construction and is a combination of farm home and Victorian details. In 1913 the house was purchased by Stanley Mahood, a physician, and it was said that he had his office in the den. He later became Calgary's medical health officer.
From 1914 until 1918, John F. Laurie, a mail clerk, resided here. In 1920, Edward T. Arnold, a proprietor of a a shoe company, is listed as residing here.
Harold Hargreaves, Calgary's postmaster, purchased the house and lived here until 1933. It was then rented to Wm W Grant, vice president of Voice of the Prairie, CFCN and in 1940 to William H Dobson, a traveller for Ogilvy's.
In 1948, Ellen Dunn purchased it and rented it to her grandson, Jack and his wife Doreen for $75 a month, but because it was too much for them to afford on their own they shared the house with Jack's sister and her family. In 1960 they bought the house for $11,500, (on what is now Memorial Drive NW.) They have raised their two children here and have resided here since. Jack died in 2006.
Over the 64 years, a number of changes have been made to the interior, rooms have been added but much of the original house has been preserved.
This house has seen an abundance of living these past 64 years - laughter and tears, joy and sadness, prosperity and scarcity, wedding receptions, and funeral receptions.
And then there were the family Sunday dinners, special holiday gatherings, birthday parties, barbeques, house guests from around the world.
And long ago, very memorable Saturday night parties which always included rolling up the rug and dancing into the wee small hours of the morning.