In 1910, Alfred Riley, son of prominent Calgary pioneer Thomas Riley, built a farmhouse of brick and sandstone. Known as Riley Lodge, it was occupied by Alfred and his wife Ada Marie until Alfred's death; Ada continued to live in the house until 1934 and it remained in the Riley family until 1968, at which time it was sold to the City of Calgary. According to City records, it is the last known Riley family residence still standing.
The house was purchased from the City by the current owners in 1987. Due to the widening of Crowchild Trail, the building was moved to its present site, three blocks west of where it originally stood. The veranda, which had to be demolished for the move, was reconstructed based on a drawing from a book of house plans, circa 1910. After an old photograph of the house was discovered at the Glenbow Archives in 2007, the veranda was rebuilt for the second time and is now an accurate representation of the original. Future plans include a wrought iron gate with stone columns at the end of the driveway.
Riley Lodge is built in the Queen anne Revival style, exhibiting some of the more common features of the style - the warparound veranda, hipped roof, third-floor dormer windows and the turret at the corner of the front facade.