In the Alberta Registry of Historic Places, this home is shown with a construction date of 1912. John B. Andersen is listed as the first owner, residing here from 1913-29, with P. Mickleburgh cited as the second owner.
The home is believed to be a Sears-designed kit house many of which were shipped by railroad boxcar to Calgary from Winnipeg. This home, typical of Sears kit-homes, has a "balloon style" framing, a system which required only a single carpenter, used precut timber, fitted pieces, and came with the all materials needed to build the house. One story has it that Mr. Andersen was the building contractor and built 6 other Sears Kit home on this street. For his own home, he added extra "special features" of bay window and fireplace.
Recently, we renovated the home, with an eye to preserving its historic character. We retained the original footprint and interior trim style, added wainscoting typical of the era, and refurbished some of the original door hardware (see photo). Our contractor also had the original front porch pillars, made of cedar, meticulously refinished. We did diverge from the spirit of 1912 by adding certain modern conveniences such as insulation (there was none in the walls) and updating the heating system (there was no cold air return upstairs and no heat vents to one of the rooms).
Newpaper clippings on poster as well as a photocopy from the Henderson's Directory.