History of Ownership of 308 38th Avenue S.W., Calgary Public Library
The current owners are the 5th owners to live in the home since it was built in 1912. The history of ownership, gathered from the Glenbow Archives, is as follows.
Resident: Chartres Cunningham (1st owner)
Comments: The home was constructed in 1912 by Chartres Cunningham, the owner of Cunningham Electric Co., “electrical contractors and agents for the Turnbull Passenger and Freight Elevators”.
Resident: Frederick R. Branson (believed to have been the 2nd owner, but may have rented)
Comments: Frederick Branson was a manager with Dominion Life Insurance Company.
Year: 1921-1975 (54 years)
Resident: Oswald Dunford and family (3rd owner – the Dunford family owned the home for a total of 54 years)
Comments: Oswald Dunford moved into the home in 1921 from 412 11th Street N.W., in Calgary. In 1920, Oswald worked as a druggist Maclean Drugs. In 1921, he started his own business, Dunford Drugs, in the old Herald building at 616 1st Street West.
Resident: Robert and Adeline Young
Comments: Robert and Adeline rented 308 until at least 1950. J.S. Jarman rented 308A until at least 1950.
Resident: Molly Dunford (Oswald Dunford’s daughter)
Comments: in 1950, Molly Dunford, the daughter of Oswalk Dunford, was reported as working as a clerk at the Holy Cross Hospital. In 1960, Molly was reported as working as an accountant at Macleod McDermid Dixon, and the owner of the home. Apparently, 308A was vacant at that time.
Year: 1975-1999 (24 years)
Resident: Al and Lenny Coombs (4th owners)
Comments: Al and Lenny purchased the home from Molly Dunford. Al was a retired RCMP officer, who later worked as an investigator for Canada Safeway stores. Al and Lenny moved from 3223 Elbow Drive and raised their children in the home.
Year: 2000 to date
Resident: Bob Grant, Louise Novinger Grant (5th owners)
Comments: Bob and Louise purchased the home in October 1999, and arranged for extensive renovations to the interior, including upgrades to the plumbing and electricity. They preserved some of the original features, including the original Craftsman front door, stained glass cabinet doors in the dining room, certain light features, a coal fireplace, and woodwork in the entry, the inglenook, and the dining room. They moved into the home in July 2000, together with their 3 children.